This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This Thai-inspired Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk is perfectly spicy, incredibly creamy and healthy all at once! Switch up your soup game with this super satisfying and nutritious soup!
In the mood for soup? I’ve got you covered with Easy Creamy Potato Soup, Roasted Cauliflower Soup, Carrot Soup, Green Chile Stew, and Tomato Basil Soup.
Why This Recipe Works
- Incredible Flavors: One thing I love about curry is that it is a wonderfully strong flavor and can make anything taste good. The combination of silky smooth, slightly sweet squash along with the curry and coconut milk makes this soup so flavorful! I top it with a Thai gremolata which is chopped peanuts, cilantro, lime zest and red chili flakes which adds a lovely crunch and fresh flavor!
- Easy to Make: This beautiful curried butternut squash soup with coconut milk is surprisingly easy to make. I made mine in the slow cooker, but you can also make this on the stove! After just a few minutes of prep, you can throw everything into the slow cooker to cook. Then blend and you are ready to eat!
- So Beautiful: Just look at it! This soup is so appealing to the eye. All creamy and yellow and delicious-like. So bright and cheerful looking it’s almost like a winter-summer soup hybrid.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this slow cooker creamy butternut squash soup:
For the Soup
- Butternut Squash– Peel and dice your butternut squash. Frozen butternut squash will work as well for this recipe.
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk– You can get this in a carton or it is also sold in cans.
- Chicken Broth– Chicken broth goes well with this soup, but if you want to keep it vegetarian you can use vegetable broth!
- Brown Sugar– A little brown sugar brings out the sweetness in the squash and balances the spices.
- Sriracha– For a little spice, add some sriracha to taste.
- Seasonings– Onion Powder, Curry Powder, Garlic Powder and Salt to taste.
- Lime– Freshly squeezed lime juice is amazing in this soup. If you have bottled lime juice, it will work but you will lose some freshness!
- Milk– For a vegan soup, replace the milk for more coconut milk.
For the Thai Gremolata
- Peanuts– Crush the peanuts a little bit for smaller pieces.
- Cilantro– Freshly chopped cilantro.
- Lime Zest– Use the zest from the limes you use in the soup.
- Red Chili Flakes– For a kick of spice!
Here’s How You Make It
For the Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Add butternut squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion powder, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, and curry powder to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
- Blend mixture until smooth using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor. You may need to do this in batches depending on your available equipment. Return mixture to slow cooker. Add salt to taste and milk to thin the soup to the desired consistency.
For the Thai Gremolata
- Just before serving, prepare the gremolata. In a small bowl stir together cilantro, peanuts, lime zest, and red chili pepper flakes. Serve soup warm and top with gremolata, and enjoy!
Expert Tips for the Best Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Technically, you can make this soup really super easy and not do the Thai gremolata. But, you’ll be missing out on a lovely addition of flavor and texture.
- This is a great soup to make ahead! You can freeze your curried butternut squash soup in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months. Once you are ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and the reheat in the microwave!
- While this soup is filling and delicious on it’s own, you can also pair this with a grilled cheese or some focaccia bread to dip!
Frequently Asked Questions
Using an immersion blender is the easiest way to blend soup. However, if you don’t have one and you have a normal blender or food processor you can totally use that instead. You’ll want to let the soup cool down a little bit prior to blending it. When you do blend it, place the lid tightly on the blender and hold it down with a towel. Hot liquid in a blender creates pressure and the lid could pop off if you aren’t holding it down tightly! Blend in batches if needed.
Absolutely! If you don’t have a slow cooker, cook this soup in the same way in a large pot on the stove. Let it simmer for about an hour before blending!
Did you make this recipe? AMAZING! Be sure to snap a photo and tag me on social, then come back here to rate the recipe!
Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
This Thai-inspired Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk is perfectly spicy, incredibly creamy and healthy all at once!
Servings: 4 servings
Add butternut squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion powder, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, and curry powder to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
Blend mixture until smooth using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor. (You may need to do this in batches depending on your available equipment) Return mixture to slow cooker. Add salt to taste and milk to thin to desired consistency.
Just before serving, prepare the gremolata. In a small bowl stir together cilantro, peanuts, lime zest, and red chili pepper flakes. Serve soup warm and top with gremolata.
Add 1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce to the soup to give it a spicy kick!
Calories: 450 kcal, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 31 g, Saturated Fat: 23 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Sodium: 2471 mg, Potassium: 1388 mg, Fiber: 8 g, Sugar: 14 g, Vitamin A: 24217 IU, Vitamin C: 64 mg, Calcium: 227 mg, Iron: 4 mg