According to food stuff author Katarina Cermelj, “a perfect blueberry muffin has to be quick to whip up, have a superbly domed, caramelized prime, be certainly loaded with blueberries and have a moist, tender crumb.” We have a tendency to agree—fortunately, this recipe for gluten-absolutely free blueberry muffins (from her new cookbook, Baked to Perfection) ticks all these packing containers.
You observe the measurements are delivered by body weight, which may seem to be difficult, but qualified prospects to a way much better consequence. Precision is critical, so your baking scale will appear in useful.
“Other berries, these as raspberries or blackberries do the job very well in these muffins, also,” she carries on. “Or, try out chocolate chip muffins: As a substitute of the blueberries, merely add dark or milk chocolate chips. An further sprinkling of granulated sugar just before they go into the oven offers them a very sparkle, and a sweet crunch as you bite into them.”
Recipe tailored from Baked to Perfection, Copyright Katarina Cermelj, 2021. Reprinted by permission of Bloomsbury.
280g gluten-free flour mix
80g almond flour
150g light brown smooth sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 lemons (if possible unwaxed)
130g unsalted butter, softened
140g total milk, cold (see note)
140g total-extra fat simple or Greek yogurt, cold (see be aware)
2 eggs, cold (see be aware)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
180g clean or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer or a significant mixing bowl, sift with each other the gluten-totally free flour mix, almond flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
3. Increase the lemon zest and butter and, applying the paddle attachment (or a hand mixer fitted with double beaters), perform the butter into the dry elements till the texture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla paste. Include the wet substances to the flour mixture and whisk until finally you get a clean, thick batter with no flour clumps.
5. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the blueberry-free batter into the base of each and every muffin liner. (This makes certain that even if some blueberries do sink a little all through baking, the distribution of the fruit is pretty even during the muffins.)
6. Set apart about 2 tablespoons (30g) of the blueberries to sprinkle in excess of the top rated of the muffins. Fold the remainder into the remaining batter in the bowl. Divide the batter similarly involving the 12 muffin liners, filling every single to the brim.
7. Scatter the reserved blueberries on major of the muffins, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and bake until finally an inserted toothpick will come out clean or with a number of moist crumbs hooked up, 20 to 22 minutes (if using fresh blueberries) or 24 to 26 minutes (if employing frozen).
8. Remove the muffins from the tin and transfer to a wire rack to awesome. The muffins are very best on the day they’re built but can be saved in an airtight container in a great, dry area for up to 4 days. When serving on days 3 or 4, reheat in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds initially.
Observe: Cold ingredients (such as the yogurt and eggs), as perfectly as the thickness of the batter batter, assist with the development of the drastically domed muffin top.