As I get ready this recipe for blueberry pie, it is Father’s Working day. This special working day, alongside with my present-day location, sparks recollections of my father. Corman and I – alongside with my sister, Carolyn, her daughter, Shannon, and her son, Graham – are now at my family’s summer house on Molasses Pond in Eastbrook, Maine. My late mother, Gloria, and my four siblings and I have been all born in Bangor, Maine. This was my mother’s house state. My father, who was from Queens, New York, moved to Maine shortly following serving in World War II. My mother was a mobile phone operator. My dad created a telephone phone one particular day and my mom was at the switchboard. My father preferred her voice and asked her out for a day. The rest is record.
Shortly immediately after they married, my mom and dad designed a camp in Maine. It truly is been in the spouse and children at any time given that. As a consequence of my father’s army profession, we moved from Maine when I was 5. We’d normally returned to the camp in the summer season. I have so lots of fond memories of swimming, fishing, h2o skiing, sailing, kayaking and chasing lightning bugs in the close by blueberry fields in the evenings.
My dad, who cherished to bake, would make magic with the wild blueberries! As the berries commenced to ripen, we would all get excited, seeking forward to blueberry muffins, pancakes and pies, between other blueberry delicacies. Dad was only too delighted to oblige our blueberry fantasies! He’d bake up a storm at minimum a couple times a 7 days – yummy!
We have not visited Maine for 4 yrs. I was excited about the prospect of working with some of my dad’s handwritten blueberry recipes.* I experienced overlooked that blueberry season in Maine usually operates from late July via August. We arrived in Maine on June 15 – a lot more than a month prior to the blueberry year. Darn! What was I to do?! To be candid, I cheated a little bit. We went to Walmart and I bought two big packing containers of blueberries from Georgia. Father, be sure to forgive me, for I have sinned!
Dad, if you you are watching from previously mentioned, many thanks for all you did and thank you for passing on your enthusiasm for baking to me. This blueberry pie is for you!
Week 36: Blueberry Pie
2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar, modified according to sweetness of berries
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon floor cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 lbs . contemporary or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon butter, slice into little squares
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy cream (or milk)
1 tablespoon of program sugar for garnish
1 double pie crust (homemade or geared up)
1. Warmth oven to 400 levels.
2. Area just one pie crust in the base of the pie pan.
3. Stir sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a big bowl. Add blueberries and carefully toss to mix. (If you use frozen blueberries, thaw and drain liquid just before proceeding with the rest of the recipe). Transfer the blueberry filling to the well prepared pie crust.
4. Roll out the next fifty percent of dough. You can possibly put the total pie crust more than the blueberries or you can prepare a lattice leading. If you are heading to position the entire crust over the blueberries, just right before you do so, dot the major of the blueberries with the compact squares of butter. Then, reduce slits on the crust. If you are making a lattice top, spot the butter squares in the open up places of the lattice.
5. Make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream (or milk) jointly, then brush above pie dough.
6. Refrigerate pie for 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
7. Spot a baking sheet on rack in the reduced 3rd of the oven then position a baking sheet on rack and enable it warmth up.
8. Bake chilled pie on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, lessen warmth to 350 levels then go on to bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or right until the crust is golden and juices in the filling are bubbling eagerly. If, although baking, the crust begins to brown also significantly, deal with edges with aluminum foil and keep on to bake.
9. Awesome 2 to 3 several hours right before chopping to permit submitting to established. This is important!
*To be truthful, this recipe will come from the internet site InspiredTaste.web. I could not obtain my father’s handwritten recipe. My sister identified the recipe soon after I experienced by now baked my pie. His recipe is called 3-Legged Blueberry Pie.